Sunday 10 April 2011

homemade candied citrus peel.




 With passover just around the corner I thought I would share a recipe for candied citrus peel.
Every year my sisters and I make hot cross buns and other delicious sweet breads for our celebration.
one of the things I usually don't like is the use of dried out store bought candied peel in our homemade confections, I cant get out of my mind how long it could have been sitting on a store shelf or in a warehouse somewhere. We really do try and make every thing from scratch especially when baking, so why not candied citrus peel ?? I don't know why we didn't try it before, but I must say there is nothing like it, it is unsurpassed in flavor, it really can be eaten as a candy and if there is not a constant watchful eye on it it will be devoured, I promise.
the recipe that follows is courtesy of everyday food january- february 2010, enjoy !!

1. With a sharp paring knife, slice off ends of 2 grapefruit, 3 oranges, or 4 lemons, following curve of fruit, cut away outermost peel leaving almost all white pith on fruit. slice peel lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips.
2 & 3.   in a medium pot of boiling water, cook peel until tender, about 10 minutes.
4.   with a slotted spoon transfer peel to a wire rack, spread in a single layer to dry slightly about 15 minutes



5.  in a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar
6.  add peel and boil until it turns translucent and syrup thickens, 8-10 minutes. once again with slotted spoon place on wire rack in a single layer.
7.  let peel dry 1 hour. toss with 1/2 cup sugar to coat.
8.  store in an airtight container an keep for up to 3 weeks.



a few ideas on how to use the above recipe.
this can be served as a sweet finish after a meal, or dipped in chocolate, let set and give as a gift, I wouldn't mind receiving a gift box of chocolate dipped citrus peel, I'm smiling at the thought.
or finely chop and add to scones or muffins.

happy eating.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.
I love to hear from you, my dear readers.