Tuesday 24 June 2014

Blog Birthday celebration


A dear writer sister from sunny australia, which as we speak is deep in the middle of winter, is celebrating her third year of blogging, and is throwing a literary bash to commemorate the occasion,
do hop over to her blog and take a look around. 
When I first came across Miss Joys blog firstly and after getting overly excited about her native country, I recognized immediately a kindred spirit, her writings are beautiful, I've only read what she's shared, but boy is she good. And her likes are so closely related to my own and how my family was raised, that I cant help but, and I hope she doesn't mind me confessing, that I  feel that we are friends with a connection deeper than just the face value things friends know about each other, ( I mean we know nearly nothing about the other except through posts)  
but we have a connection, through our savior, and the morals and values that we were blessed to be taught. 
And the literary love that I believe connects all book lovers with an infallible bond,  
Her blog is always thoughtful and and exceptionally uplifting place. If you love books or tea come join in the fun, 
Happy Birthday  Fullness of joy !!! 



1. Tell us  a little bit about yourself, your tastes, and the little hobbies and things that your readers probably don't know about you!

My name is Rachel Hope Bishop, Hope truly is my middle name, and I prefer it to my last, though I'm not sure why, it isn't that I have some terrible family secret to make me ashamed of my name or something.  I have 5 brothers and I'm the last of 5 girls. 10 all together. obviously I don't think you can count.  I am a European mixture by ancestry, and hope to go to the isles across the sea and find the lands of there berth. I'm kind of obsessed with the past, and history not just my own. Its a major hobby reading books on that subject, I use the excuse that I am storing up knowledge for when I need it someday in a story. Not that I need excuses to learn, but I feel that if something has a purpose its more enjoyable.
I share a bedroom with my two closest siblings, my older sister and younger brother, we have a blast most of the time, every night is a party. Unless we collapse from exhaustion.
I love making fairies from faux flowers, and setting them up in different places, fairy tales are a part of my whole life, and someday I hope to write them for the enjoyment of thousands of children.
aside from a chicken who lives quite alone my other animal companions are 3 cats, of which only 1 is my own. and the birdies who seem to love my window sill. No complaints.

2. Books! We really do love them. . . but we all have preferences of what kind of books we love best. What is your favourite genre to read from (and to write in, if you happen to be a writer too)? Could you tell us why?
Genres to read really vary a lot.
I adore classics,  and 90% of the time you'll find one in my hands.
heres how I see it,  classics are like breath, there apart of who I am in a way that I need them to be me, I don't read classics to be entertained but to know and see the world in an older and more clear precise way that only the greats of the past could put down. I read everything else from Ya to action to romance for entertainment. Its the best purest form of entertainment.
writing genres really are more blurred, and I know that some day I shall have to choose one for my babies but for now I'm letting them fly without there wings clipped, because when that day comes Ill know,  I would say historical romance, or fantasy, or historical fantasy. But i should like to master all the genres, action adventure, mystery and those life like stories that are just sweet to read and make you smile. there isn't really a genre for that is there ?

3. Are you fond of classic literature or do you generally find them too "dry" and hard-going for your tastes? Alternately, how much of your reading diet consists of books written by authors of the 21st century? Are you more fond of the old books or the new. . . or maybe a little bit of both?
I believe the above answer kind of already answered this.
I love classics, I haven't yet found a dry or dull book. though I'm not too naive to say there not out there. I just believe that there few.  I try and not be closed minded about things, but books of today really don't seem to have the depth that classics do, and when I read a book from today or even the past decade I cant say that I don't come away wanting something more. Though what it is I really couldn't put a finger on. I have focused most of my attention of classics, and should get more involved in the 21st century books, how else am I to know what readers want ? But classics like an old friend are returned to so easily its hard not to. I have read a few now books and they have been very good, so I would have to say that I'm half and half.

4. What is your favourite historical time period and setting? How did you come to be especially interested in it? Would you be happy to live in that time-period or era? 
 How can I not love this question,
 medieval times has always had a special place in my heart, ever since I was young, I have no idea when it began and yes I probably would live there, though I might not like it so much, the dresses and hair and turbulence of the times, history was made there in those days and it seemed to be so new, the world was not yet discovered. who wouldn't want to be apart of the forging of this world and the knowledge of it ?
In the same measure regency era is just perfect to my mind with its almost closed eyes and self inflicted naiveté to the troubles at its door, its balls and manners and secrets.
the victorian age at the enlightening of trouble when the world stood and said I cant keep my eyes blind forever. things were discovered, and things were learned.
and even the 40s were the times of men rising and taking a stand against evil. when nations rose and fought as one. I really should just be a time traveler and visit them all I have seemingly too many.
In every time I have someone I would like to shake hands with or give a hug to or a punch in the face.

5.. List three of your favourite classic authors (authors from the 1500s and up to the very early 1900s such as Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain etc. . . )? What makes you love them so much?
Thomas Hardy, Louisa may Alcott,  Frances Hodgson Burnett
Tom hardy has this way of writing that just captures a person, its real and so descriptive.
L M Alcott, has been a childhood author that I just grew with, and she's so perfect her wording and characters are the best, and these authors have a romanticism about them.
Burnett has an innocents to her writing that is refreshing, she's one of those go back to for a breath of fresh air when life gets too big.
6. What type of "Historical classic" is your favourite: Adventure and exploration, romance, mystery, social, memoir, or political?
Can I say all ? It doesn't really matter, I kind of like the social, political undercurrents but romances like Jane Austen would write,  are the best too. Though those had a lot of social issues too. It doesnt really matter is what I'm saying.

7. Share some of your most well-loved heroines from historical novels in literature, and why you love them so much! What virtues/traits in them would you like to attain yourself? 
Sara crewe, her strength of character and mental strength to remain innocent under such terrible persecution is something I think every strong charactered girl needs,

8. Who are your favourite heroes from historical literature? (You may share up to five). What makes them stand out among the rest as special?
ransom from C S Lewes planetary novels, 9.  List your favourite "classic" novels. . . (as this is a painful question, you may list more than one!)
Great Expectations,  Jane eyre,  Northanger abby, anything by C S Lewes
10. Which period-drama movies, (adaptions from historical classic works of fiction), fall under your favourite pile? Do you prefer the more modern adaptions or the old ones? Faithful renditions, or the more exciting ones?
It really depends, I like anything that follows the story as closely as possible, mostly the new BBC adaptions and mini series have been good.  The films, not so much,  jane eyre disappointed me so much I still haven't gotten over it yet.

11. Which historical classic has inspired and influenced you the most?

The inheritance by Alcott, theres been so many that its hard to choose, but that one opened me up to the beauty of the correct string of words.

12. Give a list (preferably with pictures!) of your favourite period drama costumes (hats, hoops, gloves, parasols, etc) and from which movie/character they come from.
I love the late victorian style as shown below


                                     From the BBC Paradise 

13. How accurate do you think classic authors were about depicting history and accuracy of different cultures? Were they sometimes prejudiced or melodramatic in their descriptions, or do you think they often had a point to make?  
Mostly they used melodrama to there advantage, always taking there point and expounding the results wether those were dramatic or under dramatic it worked. Jane Austen always over dramatized mothers in her books, look at the difference between Mrs Bennet VS Mrs Bertram.
14. Think of the funniest "scene" in either a book or movie from classic literature, and share the quote/picture below (Gifs and animations allowed!)
Oh gosh !
 A lot of the awkward moments is Austen's works always have me laughing or cringing with a bit of an embarrassed grin, 
The scene in Haggards king Solomon's mines was just the funniest, if you've read the book you'll know what I'm talking about.
15. Which villain of historical literature strikes the most dread and loathing in you?
Dorian Gray, that scoundrel
Fagan, in Dickens oliver twist 
16.  How many Charles Dickens novels have you read? Do you enthusiastically love his stories, or sob in misery over them, or worse get bored by them?
I love his works with a vengeance, and I have read quite a few, but not barely as many as he wrote. I have a ways to go. CRying always follows
17. Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, or Elizabeth Gaskall?
Elizabeth every day,
18. Favourite French Revolution novel?
the only one I've read to date is a tale of two cities, so that one.
19. North and South or Pride and Prejudice? Mr. Darcy or Mr. Thornton? 
Thornton, but thats so hard because I love the novels equally, definitely Thornton
20. Which historical classic struck you with the most sense and depth of faith and the author's perception of morality, ethics and the Christian walk? Can you share a little bit about it?
Charles Sheldon's In His steps, the books subtitle is what would jesus do, it was a sweet novel about many people who gave there lives to christ and those who don't, I really liked it. 
second to it is the Screwtape letters, that book is very spiritual. 
21. Who is your favourite side-kick (secondary character) in literature of this genre? 
Umbopa the native in king Solomon's mines, he's such a likable character. 
22. List five "Historical Classics" you are especially looking forward and eager to read in the near future.
the moreland cottage, the mysteries of udolpho, war and peace, the golden bowl, the portrait of a lady
23. What was the first historical classic novel you ever read and how did it strike you
Rebecca of sunny brook farm, was my first, and the sweetest story. Kind of like Pollyanna. 

24. What would inspire you to pick up a historical piece of literature - namely a "classic"? Do you believe it is important for our generation to get back to reading the classics? What do you believe are both the benefits, negatives and overall effects of treasuring historical stories written by authors of the past?
Info on the classics has to be made more prevalent, in our culture we've lost the charm of society thats innocent, and the novels written in those days had such a hushed quality about them, even when they were considered scandalous, that I feel a returning to that would be something we'd all grow from.
Its a proven fact that what your influenced by is how you act and the things you do, if were not taught another way then how can we know were about to fall off a cliff, morally and socially. classic books have moral undertones, and now in our day we have little to none in anything. We must be taught to treasure the gift of the voices of the past, and learn from them. I really can't see a downfall from extensive reading, as long as the written word edifies and uplifts or teaches the issues of a morally debase lifestyle. its far better than video games and anything else like little smart phones and suck, those are tools not actually anything that will grow your mind.

5 comments:

  1. I love the name Hope! It is so pretty and hopeful. :)

    How on earth could I have forgotten "The Little Princess" in my list of favourites?! I am a little ashamed of myself... ;) It is such a sweet story. :D

    LOL! I had to giggle when you said we are dead set in the middle of winter at the moment. :D We are... but it's taken a while to arrive this year. Do you get snow where you are? We don't. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I live on the eastern seaboard in the USA, nowhere near the beach by the way, sadly.
    and boy do we get snow, a lot of it, I tend to be dramatic, does it snow anywhere in Aussie land ? The only reason I actually remembered it was because I just re read it, so don't feel bad. some how, and i believe it happens to every one, when someone asks you what your favorite book is you suddenly forget every book you've ever read. whats up with that ?
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we get a some snow in some places, but not heaps of it - just enough to get the locals excited. ;) From I live, you have to drive about three hours to see any snow at all. My family is going on holidays in a couple of weeks and nearly all the places we are staying are liable to have snow at some point, so we are hoping to get lucky. :D

      Delete
  3. It's so strange that your hoping for snow, and I'm sitting in 90 degree warmth, with a delicious sun warming my face. Such in the world, and I'm marveling at how magnificent it is. So Christmas happens for you in summer ? Always ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christmas is always in summer here. We were so excited last year, because it rained all day, and it was the closest to a cold Christmas we were going to get! :P Most Christmas Days don't get below 100 F. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.
I love to hear from you, my dear readers.